Keywords: shah dahod
Description: History of Dahod spans regions of Gujarat and Malva. The later has since been reorganized as districts in Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan. The name Dahod derives from its former name Dohad. The name
History of Dahod spans regions of Gujarat and Malva. The later has since been reorganized as districts in Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan. The name Dahod derives from its former name Dohad. The name Dohad was given to the region due to its location between borders of Rajasthan (north) and Madhya Pradesh (east). Dohad literally translates to "two borders". It is estimated that Dahod is 1,000 years old.
The Mughal Empire had an historical presence in Dahod. During the reign of Mughal emperor Jahangir, son of emperor Akbar, Jahangir made his son Shah Jahan, who went on to succeed Jahangir, the Subedar (governor) of Gujarat. In November 1618, Mumtaz Mahal, wife of Shah Jahan, gave birth to Aurangzeb at the fort of Dahod. Aurangzeb, who later succeeded Shah Jahan as the Mughul emperor in 1658, was quoted to have ordered his ministers to show favors to this town, since it was his birthplace.
Tatya Tope, the well-known freedom fighter, came to this city during the freedom fighting movement in 1857. During the British Rule, a dharma shala (free sleeping facility) in Dahod that was constructed under the reign of the Mughul Emperor Aurangzab, was converted into a small fort or gadhi. While camped in Nani Kharaj, a village in Dahod district, the revolutionary Tatya Tope attempted to capture the gadhi. A lone soldier from Bhopal was left to defend the gadhi from attacking of Tope. Colonel Iwat came rushing to the aid and began a counter attack on Dahod. Tatya Tope fled from Dahod as a result to nearby areas of Limdi-Jhalod and Banswada. He is believed to have lived his last days in this region.
The British occupied Dahod ever since Tatya Tope's attempt to conquer Dahod in 1857. They desired Dahod because of its location in midst of royal states. The British originally leased Dahod from Sindhias for seven years, and permanently acquired it in 1890 by exchanging it for another district.
The Dahod region is home to Bawka, an archeological marvel located eleven kilometers southwest of Dahod. It is said that the structure built of stones and decorated with carved scenes from the Kama Sutras was built by a prostitute. This architectural marvel was built during the prosperous reign of the Maharaja of Champaner. It is also known as Khajuraho of Dahod district.
The great Maharaja Siddjaraj Jaisingh invaded the state of Malva in Vikram Sanvat 1093, and camped in Dahod for the next twelve years. Siddharaj's enormous army built Chhab Talav (Basket Lake) in one night. Each soldier of his army dug one basket of soil to form a lake overnight.
The historical red stone, carved with the word "Hanumanji" was planted during the grand opening ceremony of Chhab Talav. It is still intact, and can be seen at the last overflow (Chhela Ovare).
Maharaj Sidharaj Jaisingh also placed a stone, carved with the word "Shila Lekh" in Sanskrit, at Panigate. The British Government moved that stone to a museum in Pune, Maharashtra.
The railway workshop in Dahod was setup as a result of a strike called by the labor union in Bombay (during 1920s). The strike resulted in a total shutdown of the railroad services for the British Government, since it isolated much of Bombay. In order to prevent such railroad disruptions in future, the British Government decided to relocate railway workshop from Parel, Bombay to Dahod. The area in Dahod which houses the railway workshop is named Parel also, after its namesake in Bombay. Layout of Parel, Dahod is very similar to New Delhi, but on a smaller scale.
According to the folklore, Rishi Dadhichi once meditated at the banks of Dudhimati river in Dahod. In the tale of the Vajrayudha, battle between asuras (demons) and devas (gods), Dadhichi played a crucial role in defeating king of asuras, Vritra (also known as Vritrasura). Dadhichi came to the aid of Indra, the king of devas. Dadhichi destroyed himself in order for devas to craft weapons out of his bones. Devas used these weapons to kill the demons lead by Vritrasura.
Dahod District, also known as Dohad District, is located in Gujarat state in western India. The city of Dahod is the district's administrative headquarters. The district has an area of 3,642 km², and a population of 21,26,558 (2011 census), with a population density of 583 persons per km². Dahod District was created on 2 October 1997, and was formerly part of Panchmahal District. Its territory mostly consists of two former Princely States, namely Baria (Devgadh) and Sanjeli in addition to Fatehpura Taluka of Sunth (Rampur), along with the two "eastern mahals" of Dahod and Jhalod from the former Panch Mahals. It was 8.99% urban at the 2001 census. This district is bounded by Panchmahal District to the west, Chhota Udaipur district to the south, Jhabua District and Alirajpur District of Madhya Pradesh State to the east and southeast respectively, and Banswara District of Rajasthan State to the north and northeast. The population of the district is mostly rural, and a majority of the district's residents are Tribals, mostly Bhils. Dahod District also has the second largest population of "Dawoodi Bohra" sect of Muslims in India.