Keywords: nashbar 1200c
Description: Its not a pricey unit but for all the info it does give, it seems to work well and accurately. I had the opportunity to check mine against a Doctor's unit and it was within a beat or 2, within the
Its not a pricey unit but for all the info it does give, it seems to work well and accurately. I had the opportunity to check mine against a Doctor's unit and it was within a beat or 2, within the normal range that was monitored. Plus it has a bunch of other good, varied features inclduing calorie counter, that make it a step up from the basic Ba-Bummp-meter. The 'calories used' function seems to agree well with what my weight indicates, so in all, its a pretty good device at a reasonable cost. Except for the battery replacement issue
Mine went well for about 15 months, and just last week started to drop signal, indicating a low battery. SO 1st I replaced the the battery within the main unit itself - a common CR2025 computer battery. Not the problem. So the issue is within the transmitter unit.
The unit seems tightly sealed all the way around with no real obvious 'slot' in which to put a pry bar, no screws to open a cover. But, it seemed obvious that where the flexible belt connectors enter the unit must be an open space, since you can't completely weld these dissimilar materials easily.
So I put a medium size slot Screwdriver between the connector and transmitter housing and started to pry with reasonably strong and steady effort. That got things going. Then I put a large blade scrapper tool in the open area at the lower side of the unit and continued the prying pressure, trying not to loaded any one spot too heavily.
It eventually opened to show the innards and a CR2032 motherboard battery. Simple replacement by lifting the contact band and sliding in a Fresh Battery. Tested the unit and it operated as good as new!
To close and seal the cover I used a very small bead of 'liquid electrical tape'. That black plastic goo you can aplly to anything and create a coat or seal. Then added a few small strips of packing tape on the thin edges, top and bottom, to allow it all to set and harden over the next few days. Used this instead of what seemed like the superglue they used in manufacturing. The liquid electrical tape will give a good seal, hold the unit together well and allow an easy open the next time the battery needs replacing.
Easy Job - and I recomment applying the prying effort and pressure from the left and bottom sides, for up in the upper right end of the unit is a coil with a couple of very light wire strands which could be easily caught and cut by a pry device.