Select top 10 in sql



Keywords: tech on the net, totn, sql server, sql server select top statement, syntax, parameters, arguments, example, tutorial
Description: This SQL Server tutorial explains how to use the SELECT TOP statement in SQL Server (Transact-SQL) with syntax and examples. The SQL Server (Transact-SQL) SELECT TOP statement is used to retrieve records from one or more tables in SQL Server and limit the number of records returned based on a fixed value or percentage.

This SQL Server tutorial explains how to use the SELECT TOP statement in SQL Server (Transact-SQL) with syntax and examples.

TOP (top_value) Returns the top number of rows in the result set based on top_value. For example, TOP(10) would return the top 10 rows from the full result set. PERCENT Optional. If PERCENT is specified, then the top rows are based on a percentage of the total result set (as specfied by the top_value ). For example, TOP(10) PERCENT would return the top 10% of the full result set. WITH TIES Optional. If the WITH TIES clause is specified, then rows tied in last place within the limited result set are returned. This may result in more rows be returned than the TOP parameter permits. expressions The columns or calculations that you wish to retrieve. tables The tables that you wish to retrieve records from. There must be at least one table listed in the FROM clause. WHERE conditions Optional. The conditions that must be met for the records to be selected. ORDER BY expression Optional. It is used in the SELECT TOP statement so that you can order the results and target those records that you wish to return. ASC is ascending order and DESC is descending order.

This SQL Server SELECT TOP example would select the first 5 records from the employees table where the last_name is 'Anderson'. If there are other records in the employees table that have a last_name of 'Anderson', they will not be returned by the SELECT statement.

The WITH TIES clause would include rows that may be tied in last place within the limited result set. So if the 5th top record is a tie, then all records in this tie position would be returned by the SELECT TOP statement. This will result in more than 5 records being returned.

This SQL Server SELECT TOP example would select the first 10% of the records from the full result set. So in this example, the SELECT statement would return the top 10% of records from the employees table where the last_name is 'Anderson'. The other 90% of the result set would not be returned by the SELECT statement.






Photogallery Select top 10 in sql:


COMPLETE SQL TUTORIAL - SQL SELECT TOP Clause - Part 26 - YouTube


t-sql-return-top-n-rows-per- ...


seleniummaster.com - Manipulate Database Using Database Object ...


How to use SQL Developer to run SQL statements


Peter Viola - Solving SQL Server High CPU with IIS Request Filtering


SQL SERVER  List the Name of the Months Between Date Ranges ...


Top 10 free database tools for sys admins


DbVisualizer - SQL Commander


sql-8-638.jpg?cb=1395831287


SQL SERVER  SELECT 1 vs SELECT *  An Interesting Observation ...


how select range 10 to 20 record of sql bank?


seleniummaster.com - Manipulate Database Using Database Object ...


SQL Injection Tutorial


Introduction to sql


how to select top N in access report detail section or select top ...


Copying & Pasting Rows Between Grids in SQL Developer


How to Edit More than 200 Rows in SQL Server 2008 Management ...


Tutorial: MSSQL- Library App Form Control Without GUI Connections


SQL Injection Tutorial


Sql select top records - YouTube


Cc966526.ssaspropertiesfig2_ ...